The New York Daily News has launched an all-out editorial crusade against the New York Independence Party. If you don’t have the time to read all of the pieces, the NYDN Blog has a nice summary of their findings here.
Basically, the investigation revealed that the vast majority of the party’s members (including Rupert Murdoch!) intended to vote as “Independents”, but were confused by the similar “Independence” name. Apparently, the leaders of the party (pretty colorful characters) not only knew of the confusion — they banked on it year after year.
Anyway, here are the opinion pieces:
- Anti-Semitic Jew Fred Newman led his cult-like followers to Independence Party power in New York City, NY Daily News (Dec. 10, 2012)
- Revealed: How cult-like band exploits voter deception to wield political power in N.Y.C., NY Daily News (Dec. 10, 2012)
- Gov. Cuomo must deliver an ultimatum to the Independence Party: Stop the shams or the party dies, NY Daily News (Dec. 10, 2012)
- Independence Party’s confusing name has tricked thousands of New Yorkers, New York Daily News (Dec. 11, 2012)
- The state has to end the confusion that has swelled Independence Party rolls with unwitting and unwilling members, NY Daily News (Dec. 11, 2012)
- City Independence Party insiders wrongly filled their governing committees with unwilling and unwitting voters, New York Daily News (Dec. 12, 2012)
- Lots of reasons DA can crash this ‘party’, New York Daily News (Dec. 12, 2012)
- Built on deception, the Independence Party boosted Michael Bloomberg into office in three elections, NY Daily News (Dec. 14, 2012)